There’s so much to love about fall: the crisp air, beautiful colors, delicious cider and donuts, and—of course—new decorating styles and ideas for the home. Give your home a fall makeover with one of these 10 fall home decorating tips.
- Add layers. This look isn’t just for clothing! Cozy up your space by adding a shaggy throw rug in the hallway or a few afghans and flannel blankets on your couches and chairs. The thick rug will protect your feet on cold hardwood or tile during fall and winter nights, and keeping the blankets within easy reach will come in handy while reading or watching TV on a chilly evening.
- Swap out pastels for bold, rich shades of orange, burgundy, purple and navy. Let your light, pastel decorations rest for a few months and accessorize with deep, warm colors of fall. Whether it’s replacing the comforter on the bed or recovering the pillows in the great room, use your accessories to bring fall’s beautiful color into the home.
- Add autumn plants to your entryway and centerpieces. Mums. Pumpkins. Gourds. Hay and cornstalks. Fall brings an abundance of new seasonal plants that can be added to your home’s décor. Want to blend style and function? Paint your house number on a pumpkin to display on your front porch.
- Gather ‘round the fireplace. Cold nights are coming, so it’s a good time to refocus your great room furniture toward the fireplace, especially if you did some rearranging during the summer. Keep firewood on hand for those wood-burning fireplaces, as well, and even find some clever ways to work the firewood into your décor.
- Make your favorite leaf project with the kids and put it on display. Spend a Saturday afternoon collecting leaves from the yard (you have to rake them, anyway!) for some fun, fall-themed crafts. Check out our DIY leaf canvas for an easy, kid-friendly project, or find some other ideas at Parents Magazine.
- Hang a fall wreath on the front door. Who says wreaths are just for the holiday season? Add some autumn charm to your front door with a wreath decorated with the season’s plants and colors. Better yet, make your own!
- Place candles throughout the home. Fall-scented candles will fill your home with the best smells of the season (cinnamon apple cider, anyone?), while the warmth from the candles will help create a cozy atmosphere.
- Fill your home with your favorite fall scents. Pumpkin, cinnamon and apple are three of the most popular autumn scents. So, fill your home with them! Light pumpkin-scented candles. Put cinnamon sticks on display. Make hot apple cider in the crock pot. Give the space a cozy, homey smell to greet guests on cold days.
- Create cozier outdoor spaces. Take advantage of these remaining cool evenings! Add blankets, pillows and candles to your patio or deck. Build a fire pit for backyard bonfires. Create a warm, inviting space that encourages guests to head outside on beautiful, crisp fall evenings.
- Prep your home for cold, wet weather. Cover the entryway with a thick rug, place a bench in the foyer for guests to sit on when taking off boots, and add an umbrella-holder for storing soggy umbrellas on rainy days. Chilly, rainy days are coming—now is the time to get ready for them!
Do you have any other fall home decorating tips? Let us know in the comments section!