By Annie P., Lombardo Homes Marketing Coordinator
I LOVE fall. Cozy sweaters and flannel, pumpkin everything, sleeping with the windows open and blankets piled on the bed, pulling out the Halloween decorations just a little too early… the list of reasons why autumn is my favorite is endless.
If you’re not ready to don the Halloween decorations yet, there are some simple ways to add fall’s signature look to your home’s décor. Whether you want to add small touches of the season or completely overhaul a room, try one of these 6 ideas to add fall elements to your home.
- Warm up a room with neutrals. Shades of brown and gray will give your home a warm ambience and are versatile enough to last throughout all seasons. When adding accessories, try rich shades such as cognac or mauve. If you’re itching to repaint this season, try Sherwin-Williams Loggia (as seen in the Leland model at Toussaint Meadows in Sterling Heights), Colonnade Gray (found in the Elwood model at Lancaster at Central Park in Shelby Township), or Dorian Gray (at the Barclay models at Wolverine Country Club Estates in Macomb and Arbor Ridge in Pittsfield Township).
- Mix and match bold accent colors. What would fall décor be without the deep, rich hues characteristic of the season? Go bold this autumn with gold, burgundy, orange, navy, and green blankets, throw pillows, and accessories. Painting an accent wall? Try one of these dramatic shades: Sherwin-Williams Moody Blue or Sea Serpent (both found at the Barclay at Wolverine in Macomb), Blackberry or Grandeur Plum (at the Barclay at Arbor Ridge in Pittsfield Township), or Arugula (seen in the Summerfield model at Saddle Creek in South Lyon).
- Use color to create contrast. When I think of fall, I immediately think of leaves: shades of rich, deep red contrasted against soft yellows and bright oranges. Mix these bright fall colors with deep, rich neutrals for a quick, simple way to add fresh drama and interest to a room. Try incorporating one of the colorful accent colors in tip #2 with the soft neutrals in tip #1 for a warm, memorable look.
- Mix plaid with other colors and patterns. Fall means the return of everything plaid and flannel, including in-home décor. If a plaid accessory is the main statement in a room, complement it with another pattern that pulls from the same color scheme.
- Layer throw pillows and blankets. Fall is the coziest season – reflect that in your great room, hearth room, loft, bedrooms, and deck or patio. After a hot, humid summer, create inviting spaces for your guests to enjoy fall’s crisp, cool weather by piling layers of pillows and blankets on your couches and chairs.
- Accessorize with chunky knits. Who else loves sweater weather? Bring that look into the gathering spaces in your home with accent pillows, knitted blankets, and shaggy rugs. (You’ll thank yourself once those chilly mornings begin!)
Check out our previous blog posts for more fall decorating ideas and fall home maintenance tips!