When you have a vision in mind for your home décor, it’s sometimes hard to find the perfect piece to fill up the blank canvas of a wall. Whether you’re an avid reader or a devoted journal-writer, a DIY unique hanging bookshelf is a great way to add some character to your home.
The process is simple! Follow these steps to make a hanging bookshelf:
What you need:
- Blocks (4)
- Hooks (4)
- Screws (8)
- Wood plank (1)
- Thread/jute (enough for four hooks)
- Small wooden pieces (4)
- Electric drill
How to make it:
- Drill a pilot hole in each block (¼ inch from the bottom).
- Thread one screw through each hook.
- Use a power drill to screw the hook into the bottom pilot hole, making sure the hook faces outward.
- Cut the wooden board to the same size of the blocks laid next to one another.
- Screw the board onto the blocks. Be sure the screws do not puncture through the front of the blocks!
- Drill two holes into each small wooden piece, leaving enough room to thread the jute through.
- Loop the jute through the wood piece, then tie the two ends of the jute together. Attach each jute/wood piece to a hook.
- Hang the book. We recommend putting a large section of the book through the two pieces of jute so the book will be supported and the pages do not get damaged.
- Hang the shelf by your favorite reading chair. The books you’re currently reading (or want to start next) are there when you need them!
Did you make a hanging bookshelf? Share your DIY experience in the comments!
Alyssa C., Lombardo Homes Sales Manager and DIY extraordinaire, contributed to this story.