It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Not Christmas – barbecue season! The weather is finally staying consistently warm, which means it’s time to fire up the grill and call the neighbors over for a cookout. Get your home ready for this season’s first backyard barbecue with these 5 tips.
1) Tidy up your yard. Spring cleaning isn’t just for kitchens and closets! Give your yard some TLC before hosting a party by raking leaves, pruning bushes, picking up sticks, and cutting the lawn. It’s a good idea to check for any holes or tripping hazards, too.
2) Clean out your grill. Clean food debris from the grates, then apply oil to the grates so food doesn’t stick. If you have a gas grill, make sure you have an ample supply of propane needed for the BBQ. If you have a charcoal grill, make sure you have extra charcoal bricks!
3) Get your outdoor furniture in shape. Give your patio chairs and tables a thorough scrubbing before guests arrive, especially if the furniture has been outside during one of this season’s many rainstorms.
4) Say goodbye to pests. Nothing ruins a good BBQ like a swarm of mosquitoes. To help keep these pesky intruders at bay, consider burning citronella candles and hanging a mosquito net around any food. (Or, better yet, keep food in the kitchen.) Have bug spray readily available if your guests need it, too.
5) Decorate! Your home is ready for the party, so now add some finishing touches! Hang string lights, add brightly colored cushions, and make sure every seat has an end table, ottoman, or coffee table within reach.
Do you have more backyard BBQ tips? Let us know in the comments!