School’s been out in Michigan for more than a month, which may mean your ideas for family activities are almost as exhausted as you are. Or, maybe you still have a ton of ideas for family fun, but you’re looking for extra inspiration to help make 2018 the best summer ever.
Whatever your reason may be, we’ve got you covered. South Lyon and Brighton, conveniently located between Detroit and Ann Arbor, both feature charming downtowns and an abundance of parks and lakes nearby, making the area an ideal hub for this summer’s family-friendly activities. Check out 5 of our favorite activities in South Lyon and Brighton below.
1) Get the “up north” experience – without the drive – at Island Lake Recreation area. Located in Brighton, Island Lake Recreation Area is a 4,000-acre park with a mixture of open brush land, hardwood forest, and meadow. You can spend the day biking on the trails that run throughout the park, play beach volleyball, hike through the woods, canoe down the river, and even take a hot air balloon ride! Looking for more adventure? Rent one of the cabins or campsites for a family weekend getaway.
2) Cool off on hot days at Kensington Metropark. In addition to boat rental opportunities and a place to launch your own boat, Kensington Metropark in nearby Milford has a beach for swimming, plus two water slides and a splash pad! There’s something for everyone, whether it’s your biggest waterslide daredevil or smallest splash pad jumper. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
3) Pick your own cherries, raspberries, apples, and more at Erwin Orchards. Erwin Orchards, located down the street from our Saddle Creek community in South Lyon, is a family-owned cider mill and orchard where you can pick your own apples, cherries, raspberries, pumpkins, asparagus, and Saskatoon berries, depending on season. Daytime activity and healthy snack? We’ll take it.
4) Spend a day on the town in downtown South Lyon or Brighton. Love the downtown experience, but don’t want to travel far? Our Saddle Creek and Willow Woods communities are both a few minutes’ drive from downtown South Lyon or Brighton, vibrant walkable downtowns offering a plethora of shopping, dining, and entertainment opportunities. Shop or dine at one of the stores, restaurants, or businesses – many of which are locally owned – or attend one of the events held throughout the year.
5) Catch a sporting event. Whether you cheer for the Detroit Tigers, Michigan Wolverines, or Michigan State Spartans, your favorite team isn’t far away from home! Living in South Lyon or Brighton gives you easy access to Detroit, Ann Arbor, and East Lansing, making it a breeze to hop on the freeway and attend a game at Comerica Park, the Big House, or Spartan Stadium.